Re: [RFC/PATCH] RLIMIT_ARG_MAX

From: Michael Kerrisk
Date: Fri Feb 29 2008 - 15:43:59 EST

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Linus Torvalds
> > <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > I agree. And clearly there _are_ relationships and always have been, but
> > > equally clearly they simply haven't been a big issue in practice, and
> > > nobody really cares.
> >
> > Do we know that for sure?
>
> We *do* know for sure that the relationship has always been there. At
> least in Linux, and I bet in 99% of all other Unixes too. The arguments
> simply have traditionally been counted as part of the stack size.
>
> Or did you mean the latter part?

I meant: do we know for sure that no one really cares?

> The fact is, we *also* know for sure that anybody that depends on
> _SC_ARG_MAX being exact has always - and will continue to be - broken.
> Again, because of not only older kernels but also because even with the
> patch in question, we don't count argument sizes exactly.
>

> > In my initial reply, I pointed out one example where users *may* care:
> > NPTL uses RLIMIT_STACK to determine the size of per-thread stacks. It
> > is conceivable that users might want to set RLIMIT_STACK < 512k, and
> > that would have the effect of lowering the amount of space for
> > argv+eviron below what the kernel has historically guaranteed. That's
> > an ABI change, though it's unclear whether it would impact anyone in
> > practice.
>
> I do agree that we should at least make the "MAX(stacksize/4, 128k)"
> change for backwards compatibility.

Good -- because that's probably the most important point, IMO.

> That is actually a potential
> regression, but it has nothing to do with a new _SC_ARG_SIZE, because
> quite frankly, it's a regression *regardless* of whether we'd expose a new
> rlimit or not!

Agreed.

The new rlimit is primarily for the (supposed) applications that care
about knowing (at least approximately) what _SC_ARG_MAX is. I raised
the initial bug report against glibc because applications can no
longer (post 2.6.23) do this, but I haven't done the investigation
about how many applications actually care.

Cheers,

Michael