Re: SCHED_IDLE documentation

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 05:18:46 EST

* Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > commit 0e6aca43e08a62a48d6770e9a159dbec167bf4c6
> > Author: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
> > Date: Mon Jul 9 18:51:57 2007 +0200
>
> Yep -- I found it later -- thanks.
>
> Ingo, could you please CC me when kernel-userland API changes go into
> mainline? Otherwise, they potentially end up undocumented, and
> un(der)used.

sure.

We could also add an in-commit-message marker for such changes, that you
could periodically scan. Something like:

User-ABI-extended-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>

and:

User-ABI-modified-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>

that way you also know whom to contact about followup questions.

Declaring such changes would have other benefits as well: the review
process becomes more streamlined. Also, any ABI side-effect would be
known to be intentional versus unintentional, based on the commit
headers alone. Undeclared ABI side-effects would be frowned upon and
would be strong grounds for immediate reversal as well.

Ingo