Re: Weirdness in pci_read_bases()

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 16:02:59 EST

On Monday, March 03, 2008 12:57 pm Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > Not only iommu's. On lots of platforms, we have the PCI MMIO space
> > mapped 1:N, that is, an access at MMIO location N turns into a PCI cycle
> > with address 0. So outbound PCI is effectively remapped, thus allowing
> > access to things like 0 etc... without punching holes in RAM and without
> > other dirty x86-like tricks.
>
> Right, bus address space is really a separate entity; I was just using
> IOMMUs as an example of that...

Err, wasn't really clear here. CPU->PCI space and PCI->host space are really
separate entities... IOMMUs will definitely affect the PCI->host mapping, and
CPU->PCI mappings can be arbitrarily complex as well, though as you say on
PCs it's typically just flatly mapped into CPU physical space somewhere.

Jesse