Re: [linux-pm] Fundamental flaw in system suspend, exposed by freezer removal

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 17:57:57 EST

On Monday, 3 of March 2008, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > Right. That would be simpler.
>
> Let's stick with that for now.
>
> What about on the resume side? Do you want to prevent child
> registrations until after end_sleep has run? Or would you be okay with
> allowing the resume method to register new children?

I think ->resume() can register new children. There's nothing wrong with
that from the core's standpoint.

> It should be safe to assume that drivers are smart enough to bring the device
> back to full power before looking for new children.

Well, it would be a bug not to do so.

> In fact, maybe we don't need an end_sleep method at all. There isn't
> any synchronization issue to worry about -- drivers aren't going to
> register their new children in a suspended state!

Agreed.

> > > I had a change like that in my version of the patch. It's excerpted
> > > below.
> >
> > Hm, I wonder why you didn't move dpm_sysfs_add() along with device_pm_add()?
>
> Because I didn't think of it. :-)
>
> > Perhaps it's better to include dpm_sysfs_add() into device_pm_add(), since we
> > are going the make the return a result anyway?
>
> Yes.

Okay, I'll prepare a patch for that, on top of the one introducing the
'sleeping' field into 'struct dev_pm_info' (posting in a while).

> > > There's no need for that. If it isn't implemented, treat it as though
> > > it was successful.
> >
> > Well, I'm not sure. Right now we have a problem with distinguishing drivers
> > that don't implement ->suspend() purposefully from the ones that just don't
> > support suspend/hibernation ...
> >
> > OTOH, since we are going to have a pointer to 'struct pm_ops', we can safely
> > assume that if it's not NULL, the driver writer knows what he's doing.
>
> That's reasonable. If a driver doesn't support PM then it won't have
> a pm_ops pointer.

Exactly.

The question remains what we're going to do with the drivers without pm_ops
pointers in the long run (in the short run we will use the legacy callbacks in
that cases, if defined).

Thanks,
Rafael