Re: bisected boot regression post 2.6.25-rc3.. please revert

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 20:05:28 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
interesting observation: if I turn the macros into inlines... the difference
goes away.

I'm half tempted to just do it as inline period ... any objections ?

Yes, I object. I want to understand why it would matter. If this is a compiler bug, it's a really rather bad one. And if it's just some stupid bug in our pmd_bad() macro, I still want to know what the problem was.

Can you compile both ways and look at what changed at the offending site (which is apparently "follow_page()")?

And do you have some odd compiler version?

it's the F9 gcc, so yeah it's really new.

I'm staring at the disassembly and it's quite different but follow_page() is rather large;
trying to make a smaller testcase now

sadly a more isolated testcase doesn't show the same behavior yet;
so it's some fun interaction ;(

more staring at the assembly for me