Re: early_res and find_e820_area for i386?

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Mar 04 2008 - 05:49:23 EST

* Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 March 2008 04:38:03 Huang, Ying wrote:
>
> > Is it better to implement early_res and find_e820_area on i386? Can
> > we trust E820 table on i386?
>
> The 64bit code is certainly more flexible and cleaner, but also much
> more complicated.. [...]

i disagree, the early_res stuff is still quite unclean, and what we want
do do is to get rid of it, not promote it into 32-bit code ... (The
reason we merged the early_res stuff in 2.6.25 was because it was
certainly cleaner than the horrible open-coded reservations that the
64-bit code did before. So now we at least have a more less visible
enumeration of reservations.)

The correct and clean clean solution is what hpa mentioned: to do
reservations in the e820 space. I think hpa has some code for that
already and we should merge that. Peter?

Ingo