Re: Google's Summer of Code?

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Tue Mar 04 2008 - 14:56:58 EST

Hi Linus,

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> > Are there any plans to send an application of Linux kernel as a mentor
> > organization for Google's Summer of Code this year? I think there are
> > probably a lot of students interested in hacking on the kernel. And
> > no, I am not volunteering to send that application but I would be
> > interested in being a mentor.

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 9:35 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We haven't done it before (afaik), and I don't think we've had anybody
> sign up to suggest a project and mentor it. It's probably worth talking to
> people in other projects that have done the gsoc thing before.
>
> And no, I'm not going to do that "mentor organization" application thing
> either, but there's bound to be *somebody* who wants to do it. Maybe it
> could even be done as part of the Linux-foundation drive (currently LSB
> and OpenPrinting, no kernel projects). See
>
> https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Google_Summer_of_Code
>
> and maybe we can add a kernel thing to there.

Well, to that particular someone out there, please let me know where
to sign up as a mentor. I am also wondering if such a high profile
project as the kernel can get away with not having a "project ideas"
list which would make things real easy for the administrator(s)...

Pekka