Re: Google's Summer of Code?

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Tue Mar 04 2008 - 15:23:41 EST

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 23:05:34 +0300
"Alexey Zaytsev" <alexey.zaytsev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 9:35 PM, Linus Torvalds
> > <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > We haven't done it before (afaik), and I don't think we've had anybody
> > > sign up to suggest a project and mentor it. It's probably worth talking to
> > > people in other projects that have done the gsoc thing before.

Actually, I have a list of possible projects online already:

http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelProjects

The list is on a wiki and "unfiltered", so we may need to look into the
quality of the proposals a bit more before Summer of Code, and/or accept
proposals by the Summer of Code volunteers and help them make sure their
proposals are useful.

> Maybe the Kernelnewbies should stand up as the mentoring organisation?

Kernelnewbies is just a community of people, without much organization.

However, I would be happy to coordinate a group of mentors for Linux
kernel Summer of Code as well as be a mentor for the kernel subsystems
that I know something about.

If we can find mentors to cover most of the kernel (volunteers? anyone?),
we can do a good enough job of mentoring the students that we could sign
up for Summer of Code.

Summer of Code could also be a good way to get some kernel related work
done, for example LTP tests for kernel subsystems that do not have a
test suite yet. Maybe not the most interesting work, but it can be very
educational as well as useful - that and $5000 may be enough to motivate
students to get some of this "boring work" done :)

--
All Rights Reversed