Re: [RFC] Notifier for Externally Mapped Memory (EMM)

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 00:13:28 EST

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 14:35 -0800, Christoph Lameter wrote:

RCU means that the callbacks occur in an atomic context.

Not really, if it requires moving the VM locks to sleepable locks under
a .config option, I think its also fair to require PREEMPT_RCU.

OTOH, if you want to unconditionally move the VM locks to sleepable
locks you have a point.

Isn't that out of the question for .25?

I really wish we can get the atomic variant in now, and add on sleepability in .26, updating users if necessary.