Re: [kvm-devel] [RFC] Notifier for Externally Mapped Memory (EMM)

From: Dor Laor
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 05:07:16 EST

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 03:47 -0600, Robin Holt wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:09:55AM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> > Isn't that out of the question for .25?
>
> I keep hearing this mantra. What is so compelling about the .25
> release? When seems to be more important than what. While I understand
> product release cycles, etc. and can certainly agree with them. I would
> like to know with what I am being asked to agree.

The main reason is that several kvm exciting features are dependent on
mmu notifiers:
- It enables full guest swapping (as opposed to partial today)
- It enables memory ballooning
- It enables running Izik Eidus's Kernel Shared Pages module that unify
guest pages together.

The patchset is kernel-internal, stable and reviewed. Even if the
interface will be changed in .26 it won't have noticeable effect.

So since its stable, internal, reviewed, needed to enable important kvm
features we like to see it in for .25.

Regards,
Dor