Re: Google's Summer of Code?

From: Giacomo A. Catenazzi
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 08:57:29 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 23:05:34 +0300
"Alexey Zaytsev" <alexey.zaytsev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Maybe the Kernelnewbies should stand up as the mentoring organisation?

Kernelnewbies is just a community of people, without much organization.

However, I would be happy to coordinate a group of mentors for Linux
kernel Summer of Code as well as be a mentor for the kernel subsystems
that I know something about.

If we can find mentors to cover most of the kernel (volunteers? anyone?),
we can do a good enough job of mentoring the students that we could sign
up for Summer of Code.

Summer of Code could also be a good way to get some kernel related work
done, for example LTP tests for kernel subsystems that do not have a
test suite yet. Maybe not the most interesting work, but it can be very
educational as well as useful - that and $5000 may be enough to motivate
students to get some of this "boring work" done :)

I propose and I could mentor two projects about automagical kernel
configuration:

- add support to menuconfig, to show what you should enable (not
really an automagical configuration, but more an helper which
know better(?) your hardware).
- new ideas about hardware/protocol detection and detection heuristics.

I've already done some parts: generating an hardware->kernel driver
database ( http://cateee.net/lkddb/ ), and a working prototype of
autoconfiguration ( http://testing.cateee.net/autokernconf/ ).

I really want to have new ideas and other developers. I think the
idea are appealing to students, and it doesn't requires a lot of
knowledge of kernel internal.

ciao
cate