Re: [rfc][patch 1/3] slub: fix small HWCACHE_ALIGN alignment

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 16:06:54 EST

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, David Miller wrote:

> > Huh?? It is not a new definition, it is exactly what SLAB does. And
> > then you go and do something different and claim that you follow
> > what slab does.
>
> I completely agree with Nick.

So you also want subalignment because of cacheline crossing for 24 byte
slabs? We then only have 2 objects per cacheline instead of 3 but no
crossing anymore.

Well okay if there are multiple requests then lets merge Nick's patch that
does this. Still think that this will do much ...
Instead of 170 we will only have 128 objects per slab (64 byte
cacheline).

It will affect the following slab caches (mm) reducing the density of
objects.

scsi_bidi_sdb numa_policy fasync_cache xfs_bmap_free_item xfs_dabuf
fstrm_item dm_target_io

Nothing related to networking....