Re: 64-bit AMD panic

From: Chris Snook
Date: Thu Mar 06 2008 - 11:42:19 EST

linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
Hello all,

We have 64-bit production machines that use the kernel shipped with
a RedHat distribution, linux-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp. There have been
no problems until we received recent hardware. With the latest hardware,
which the vendor claims hasn't changed, the machines panic when either
a USB mouse or USB keyboard are plugged in.

Machine:

Supermicro H8DME-2
Two quad-Core AMD Opteron CPUs
64GB DDR2 400 SDRAM
6 SATA2 3.0Gb/s HD Support
2 64-bit 133/100 MHz PCI-X
2 64=bit 100MHz PCI-X
ATI ES1000 Graphics

Chipset nVida MCP55 Pro
NEC uPD720400
USB FUCI, uses ohci_hcd driver.

When mouse or keyboard is inserted, I get a panic with:
"map_single bounce buffer is not DMA'ble."

This comes from: linux-2.6.11-prep/arch/ia64/lib/swiotlb.c,
line 440. I added 64-bit long print hex to the panic statement
so I could display the address it doesn't like.

You're using an Itanium kernel on Opteron?

The address it doesn't like is: 0x000000022a0aa000

Does anybody have a clue what might be the matter and how to fix it?

If the hardware "didn't change" then it could be a BIOS bug, or just a different BIOS behavior that your old kernel doesn't handle well. Try the same version you had on the old hardware. I once had a desktop box that developed a similar behavior when I twiddled the memory hole remapping settings in the BIOS.

-- Chris