Re: ata_ram driver

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Mar 06 2008 - 21:17:18 EST

Tejun Heo wrote:
James Bottomley wrote:
Yeap, sure. It's the combination of things that always made me put this
off. Is there a function I can call to just shutdown the host instead
of destroying it?
Not really ... the process of unbinding the ULDs causes their remove
methods to call shudown. It is possible to separate this in the ULDS;
but the original design was to make remove and shutdown be similar for
the very reason that if you're removing the driver with unflushed data
in the cache, we'd really like it flushed (flush is called from
shutdown) because you have no way to talk to the device after this
without reinserting the driver.

The problem is that libata EH and other stuff aren't ready to let go of
the SCSI host up until the last moment and that last moment can't be
moved before SCSI host destruction because shutdown sequence (flush and
spindown) requires live EH. I think this can be solved by shooting down
individual sdev's instead of destroying the scsi_host.

I'm curious how the picture would change, if we used a scsi_host for each ata_host.

Jeff