Re: [patch 2/2] x86, fpu: lazy allocation of FPU area - v3

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Mar 07 2008 - 07:34:22 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
On Thu 2008-03-06 16:51:41, Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

kmem_cache_alloc() can fail (return NULL) and not handling it is a bug.
oops. you are correct. Will send a sigsegv in the failure case then. Thanks.
You are introducing possibility of hard to debug error, where previous code just worked... Does not look like good idea to me.
hm, how does it differ from any other allocation failure? We could fail

Well, we should not be sending SIGSEGV...? SIGBUS would be cleaner, or
SIGKILL... what happens when userland tries to catch this one?

I'm confused...

Normally when we need memory for userspace and can't get it, we put the process to sleep until memory is available.

Why is this different in any way?

-hpa