Re: READDIRPLUS max mount option

From: Kyle Rose
Date: Fri Mar 07 2008 - 15:09:35 EST

The binary mount format is frozen forever, so the changes to nfs_mount.h
and nfs4_mount.h are definitely NACKed.
Ah. :-) So is there no way to add mount options, or is there a different mechanism today?
Otherwise, it would be nice to know why this absolutely has to be made a
mount option rather than just having a system-wide option (either a
module/boot parameter or a sysctl) to control the behaviour of all
mounts.
I mount multiple remote file systems. Only one of them I own, so I'm willing to potentially hammer it with huge READDIRPLUS requests, while the others probably deserve more benign behavior. ;-)

In general, I think having system-wide defaults somewhere in proc is helpful---and certainly superior to a constant in the source---but there should really be mount-specific overrides wherever the system-wide default might not be globally appropriate.

Kyle