Re: FW: Linux question

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sat Mar 08 2008 - 12:02:55 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> writes:

Here's an interesting question, why isn't there an "online" file for
each CPU?

There are still some problems with off lining CPU #0 on x86 at least,
that is why it is not allowed. iirc they weren't very difficult so it
would be probably fixable with some effort.

If that's the case I would think that making it read-only would be a better solution, since I found this while creating a little tool to scan and see what's online and what's not. Obviously there can be exception cases for CPU0 and x86, but I would think that having the CPU0 for x86 be read-only would be a quirk, and handled in the kernel.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
"Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still