Re: assfail during unmount xfs 2.6.24.3 [from 2.6.24.y git]

From: Chris Knadle
Date: Sat Mar 08 2008 - 15:55:41 EST

On Friday 07 March 2008, David Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:29:07PM -0500, Chris Knadle wrote:
> > During the final unmount before reboot there was an assertion failure
> > from XFS
> > When replying please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed to the list.
> > Assertion failed: atomic_read(&mp->m_active_trans) == 0, file:
> > fs/xfs/xfs_vfsops.c, line: 708

Thank you for taking the time to look and reply to this.

> Known problem. Race in the VFS w.r.t. read-only remounts:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=120106649923499&w=2

At the bottom of the above message there's a patch which is not currently
merged in either the linux-2.6.24.y.git or linux-2.6.git trees. That's
perhaps as it should be, but I would like to know if it's worth trying
merging the patch locally as an attempted workaround until such time as
2.6.25 is released and stable.

> The fix for the problem lies outside XFS:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=120109304227035&w=2

If I understand the above correctly, it sounds like the per-vfsmount is
going to be a new feature committed to 2.6.25, but probably not backported to
prior kernel trees. If this feature was was added at 2.6.23.9 then if I
understand corectly it's only an issue between that version and 2.6.25; is
that correct?

Thanks again.
Cheers.

-- Chris