Re: [patch -mm 2/2] mempolicy: use default_policy mode instead ofMPOL_DEFAULT

From: David Rientjes
Date: Sat Mar 08 2008 - 17:20:43 EST

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Lee Schermerhorn wrote:

> I have a patch queued up, waiting for things to settle down in
> mempolicy.c, to replace the policy/mode in default_policy with
> MPOL_PREFERRED with preferred_node = -1. Then, we can remove all of the
> MPOL_DEFAULT cases out of the switches in the allocation paths and
> "clean up" the documentation, including man pages. MPOL_DEFAULT becomes
> simply an API mechanism to request fall back to the surrounding policy
> scope which, to my mind, is what "default policy" means.

Ok, I'll await your patch that switches default_policy.policy to
MPOL_PREFERRED.

Using MPOL_DEFAULT purely for falling back to the task or system-wide
policy, however, seems confusing. The semantics seem to indicate that
MPOL_DEFAULT represents the system-wide default policy without any
preferred node or set of nodes to bind or interleave. So if a VMA has a
policy of MPOL_DEFAULT then, to me, it seems like that indicates the
absence of a specific policy, not a mandate to fallback to the task
policy.