Re: [regression] 2.6.25-rc4 snd-es18xx broken on Alpha

From: Ivan Kokshaysky
Date: Sun Mar 09 2008 - 11:34:29 EST

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 09:58:28PM -0600, Bob Tracy wrote:
> (1) Using the sox-based "play" command to play a short ".wav" file
> results in the file being played approx. 1.5 times, i.e., it plays
> all the way through, then restarts from the beginning and quits
> somewhere in the middle of the second playback. At least the
> sound doesn't seem distorted...
>
> (2) Using "mpg123" results in silence at first, then after about 30
> seconds, a tight loop of random repeating sound (doesn't sound like
> part of the mp3 file, but it's probably derived from it :-)) until
> the process is forcibly killed.

Sounds like a DMA screwup. However, I'm pretty sure that it's not a
generic ALSA problem with ISA DMA, as my good old GUS MAX still works
perfectly on lx164 (machine that is very similar to your miata) as
I checked yesterday with patched 2.6.25-rc4. :-)

> I have to hit <ctrl>C twice to interrupt playback.
>
> /proc/asound/cards looks normal:
>
> 0 [ES1888 ]: ES1888 - ESS AudioDrive ES1888
> ESS AudioDrive ES1888 at 0x220, irq 5, dma1 1, dma2 5

I wonder if it still works on x86 - perhaps you ought to ask ALSA folks.
I'll search my machine room next week - I recall that there were a dozen
of old ISA soundcards, maybe there is some es18xx stuff, but chances
are slim...

Ivan.