Re: quicklists confuse meminfo

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sun Mar 09 2008 - 14:47:22 EST

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 13:34:32 +0100 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> the right solution is to get rid of quicklists altogether

Yes, I think so.

- They are pretty marginal from a performance POV (iirc)

- They've been a relatively rich source of bugs

- As I said when we merged them (under protest): Private object caches
like this are just a bad idea - caches should be *shared*, because some
other code path which wants a zeroed page wants a cache-warm one, not a
cache-cold one from the allocator (iirc there was doubt over how
cache-warm these pages are, however).

Making __GFP_ZERO smarter/more efficient would be a preferable way of
addressing any performance problems we have in there.