Re: quicklists confuse meminfo

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Mon Mar 10 2008 - 11:55:32 EST

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:

> - They are pretty marginal from a performance POV (iirc)

Pretty significant in our experience.

> Making __GFP_ZERO smarter/more efficient would be a preferable way of
> addressing any performance problems we have in there.

Looking at the page allocator "fastpath": The basic reaons that this was
such a good optimization was that the page allocator is expensive to call.
The hotpath gets more and more clogged with logic. Fixing the page
allocator to be more efficient may be the right approach here. That could
also include having a list of zeroed pages.

Zeroed pages however will not address the issue of having initialized pgd
(which seems to be what i386 needs).