Re: PM/FB/gxfb: add config option that allows disabling of VTswitch during suspend

From: Jordan Crouse
Date: Mon Mar 10 2008 - 18:26:11 EST

On 10/03/08 18:14 -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:51:18 -0700
> Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:44:24 -0400
> > Andres Salomon <dilinger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Well, it shouldn't be supported at _all_ unless the framebuffer driver
> > > supports it; you're asking for it to be converted to something like the
> > > following?
> > >

> > > #ifdef CONFIG_FBDEV_SUPPORTS_NOSWITCH
> > > static int no_vt_switch;
> > > #endif
> > >
> > > int pm_prepare_console(void)
> > > {
> > > #ifdef CONFIG_FBDEV_SUPPORTS_NOSWITCH
> > > if (no_vt_switch)
> > > return 0;
> > > #endif
> > > }
> > >
> > > #ifdef CONFIG_FBDEV_SUPPORTS_NOSWITCH
> > > module_param(no_vt_switch, int, 0);
> > > MODULE_PARM_DESC(no_vt_switch, "...");
> > > #endif
> > >

> > > If so, that means extra #ifdef's sprinkled throughout the code. Note
> > > that most framebuffer drivers won't be supporting this, and those that
> > > do will almost certainly always want vt switching turned off..
> > >

> > I don't think you need any ifdefs or config options at all, do you? Just
> > add a new module parameter to this driver and some little interface into
> > the PM core which allows the driver to set no_vt_switch?
> >

> That's a possibility, but doesn't adding hooks into PM core for two
> drivers (lxfb and gxfb) seems like overkill? I also don't really see
> anyone needing to switch back and forth between VT_SWITCH and
> NO_VT_SWITCH other than to work around possible bugs in the register
> save/restore code..

I like Andrew's idea. I wager This won't be Geode specific for long.
Either other drivers will get the hint and add real save/restore code
or the GPU subystem code being worked on by the X folks will come along
and make the VT switch obsolete for everybody. Either way, I see hooks
in the PM core as generic love that everybody can benefit from.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer