Re: mpparse_{32,64}.c merge questions

From: Len Brown
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 13:29:33 EST

On Tuesday 04 March 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> (more folks Cc:-ed)

> >> My suggestion would be to do a redesign first and then do that for
> >> both.
> > I was thinking that redesign on one file would go easier... And we
> > don't need both, do we?
>
> we dont, but please do _not_ "redesign" anything during unification.
>
> try to keep it simple and bisectable. Lots of small patches. Stupid
> #ifdefs if need to be. Pick the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version of
> any approach, if it's obvious that the unified version will still work
> fine. Ask if in doubt.

I agree with Ingo on the "keep it simple" merge steps..

I can't resist mentioning, however, what I'd like to see long term.

I'd like to see mpparse.o depend on CONFIG_MPS=y
I'd like to be able to build CONFIG_ACPI=y and CONFIG_MPS=n

Andy Grover prototyped splititing MPS from ACPI a while back,
but it never made it upstream.

thanks,
-Len