Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet

From: Benny Amorsen
Date: Wed Mar 12 2008 - 09:25:48 EST

Daniel Phillips <phillips@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> It is ranked high, nonetheless I perceive this spate of sky-is-falling
> comments as low level FUD. Which of the following do you think is the
> least reliable component in your transactional system:
>
> 1) Linux
> 2) The computer
> 3) The hard disk
> 4) The battery
> 5) The fan

Everyone who has write cache turned on for their hard drives is
running in a mode similar to ramback anyway (except for when the file
system is set to force writes to the platter, but that is rare).
Admittedly, software crashes rarely cause the write cache to be lost,
but hardware failures do, practically every time.

Sure, for some things you don't turn write cache on, and for those you
probably don't use ramback. For the rest, ramback looks very enticing.

/Benny