[Regression: 2.6.25-rc5: Blank Screen: Intel 945]

From: Justin Madru
Date: Wed Mar 12 2008 - 15:09:26 EST

Hi,

I'm not sure, but I think I've found a regression in the latest development kernel (2.6.25-rc5).
The problems don't happen when using the distro's 2.6.22 kernel (ubuntu 7.10), or when I was testing 2.6.23 and 2.6.24.

These are the problems I've been having:

1) Blank screen: Upon entering graphical mode the screen goes blank (black). It seems to happen when X is probing for the video modes.
Pressing ctrl+alt+f1 doesn't do anything, except "refresh" a black screen. The computer still works, and I can log in from GDM,
but I just can't see anything on the screen; I have to reboot.
The work around is that when the boot splash screen (usplash) is about halfway loaded I switch to the first terminal,
and everything is fine (or maybe that's just a coincidence).

2) Wireless errors: Upon connecting to a wireless router I get a flood of kernel messages that don't stop:
"kernel: wlan0_rename: RX too short data frame payload".
I do successfully connect. No workaround to stop the messages (while still having connection).

3) Flashing Red: When I shutdown, the screen flashes red several times before the shutdown splash screen shows up.

#1 and #3 happen at random. Although, It seems to happen more on the first boot up.
#2 consistently happens when connecting to my University's wireless; rarely (if ever) on my home router.

Relevant sysinfo (Dell Inspiron E1505; Intel T2080 @ 1.73GHz):
0b:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Could this be a regression? What can I do to help identify the problem?
I've tried to start analyzing the blank screen problem, so let's start there because I've already created a diff log report.

For a diff of my system logs for the blank screen problem see (104.61 KB):
http://jdserver.homelinux.org/linux/blank_screen_log_diff.txt

For full details about my system see (23.14 KB):
http://jdserver.homelinux.org/linux/sysinfo-2.6.25-rc5.txt

For my config file that I used see (40.84 KB):
http://jdserver.homelinux.org/linux/config-2.6.25-rc5

Hopefully this helps and I can get my problems solved.

Thanks