Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet

From: David Newall
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 01:45:27 EST

Daniel Phillips wrote:
> So you design for the number of nines you need, taking all factors
> into account, and you design for the performance you need. These are
> cut and dried calculations. FUD has no place here.

There's no FUD here. The problem is that you didn't say that you've
designed this for only a few nines. If you delete fsck from your
rationale, simply saying that you rely on UPS to give you time to flush
buffers, you have a much better story. Certainly, once you've flushed
buffers and degraded to write-through mode, you're obviously as reliable
as ext2/3.

Your idea seems predicated on throwing large amounts of RAM at the
problem. What I want to know is this: Is it really 25 times faster than
ext3 with an equally huge buffer cache?