Re: Keys get stuck

From: Carlos R. Mafra
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 08:18:34 EST

On Thu 13.Mar'08 at 13:06:53 +0100, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Carlos R. Mafra wrote:
>
> > So I would like to ask if swap letting X (and everything else in my
> > experience) out of the cpu for extended periods is considered normal
> > behaviour, in the sense that nobody is trying to "fix" it (due to it
> > being considered impossible to fix)...? Sorry for being off-topic, but I
> > run a minimal Window Maker desktop in a P4 3.0 GHz with 512 MB of RAM
> > (around 140 MB being used as per 'free'), and trying to load a 380 MB
> > text file in xjed editor makes my whole desktop quite unfair... it takes
> > tens of seconds to switch desktop, type things in the terminal etc. When
> > xjed finishes loading the text file, everything comes back to "fair"
> > again.
>
> I propose you start a new thread about this with proper Subject, and CC
> the scheduler maintainers.

Right. I am sorry!

But the thing I've learned from:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/28/249

makes me _not_ think the scheduler is guilty by itself.
Although it may appear so when first-looked upon.

Now I think that the problem I was facing that day was
also caused by swapping, which makes everything else
wait for it to finish.

So I am sorry for going off-topic here, but I couldn't
resist asking Galbraith about it.

Or I should just start a new thread like this? :-)

Petition for Ingo writing CFSS: Completely Fair Swap Scheduler