Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 16:35:08 EST

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:17:56 -0800
Daniel Phillips <phillips@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So we have a flock of people arguing that you can't trust Linux. Well
> maybe there are situations were you can't, but what can you trust?
> Disk firmware? Bios? Big maybes everywhere.

The traditional and proven method to constructing a reliable system is
to assume that no component can be fully trusted. This is especially
true for new code.

By being paranoid about everything, failures in one component are
usually contained well enough that one failure is not catastrophic.

In order for ramback to get appeal with the people who are paranoid
about data integrity (probably a vast majority of users), you will
need some guarantees about flush order, etc...

--
All Rights Reversed