Re: whose job is it to include various header files?

From: Robert P. J. Day
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 21:53:17 EST

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Mar 14 2008 00:53, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> >I agree with you completely. A file should explicitly include
> >headers for the stuff it uses and not rely on implicit includes
> >done elsewhere. Cleaning that up is going to touch a lot of files
> >though for no real short term gain (there is a long term gain of
> >maintainability though), so it's going to be a loveless job :(
>
> But straightforward. You nuke the complete #include list of a .h/.c
> file and "rebuild" it by hand, by looking at the code the .h/.c file
> provides/uses and selecting appropriate #includes.

well, yes, that would certainly do it, but i'm not that ambitious.
:-) actually, what i'm testing now is deleting the two superfluous
includes from <linux/percpu.h>:

#include <linus/slab.h>
#include <linux/string.h>

doing "make allyesconfig" on x86, watching where the compile fails,
fixing that file, and noticing that errors fall into a fairly small
set of localized clumps, so i'll just collect them and submit them.
there's actually not that many. patches to follow shortly.

rday