Re: [RFC] cgroups: implement device whitelist lsm (v2)

From: Serge E. Hallyn
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 09:58:29 EST

Quoting Pavel Emelyanov (xemul@xxxxxxxxxx):
> Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting James Morris (jmorris@xxxxxxxxx):

> >> Yes.
> >>
> >> All Fedora, RHEL, CentOS etc. ship with SELinux+capabilities. I can't
> >> imagine not enabling them on other kernels.

> >> Nope, SELinux always stacks with capabilities, so havng the cgroup hooks
> >> in capabilities makes sense (rather than having us change the secondary
> >> stacking LSM just to enable a feature).
> >
> > Oh, ok.
> >
> > Will let the patch stand until Pavel and Greg comment then.
>
> Well, I saw your previous patch, that was implemented as just another
> LSM module and I liked it except for the LSM dependency.

James and Stephen agree with your LSM qualms. I suppose we could add
cgroups next to the lsm hooks. I suspect Paul Menage would complain
about that (Paul?), and I do think it's silly as they are security
questions, not group tracking questions, but if it's what people want
I can send out a new patch next week.

> Since this version can happily work w/o LSM, I like it too :)

In an earlier version I asked whether you had any experience with usual
# rules per container. Do you have an idea? Right now the whitelist is
a straight list we search through linearly. If # rules is generally
tiny then I'm inclined to keep it that way...

thanks,
-serge