Re: [RFC] cgroups: implement device whitelist lsm (v2)

From: Pavel Emelyanov
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 10:15:49 EST

Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Pavel Emelyanov (xemul@xxxxxxxxxx):
>> Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
>>> Quoting James Morris (jmorris@xxxxxxxxx):

>>> Oh, ok.
>>>
>>> Will let the patch stand until Pavel and Greg comment then.
>> Well, I saw your previous patch, that was implemented as just another
>> LSM module and I liked it except for the LSM dependency.
>
> James and Stephen agree with your LSM qualms. I suppose we could add

Thanks!

> cgroups next to the lsm hooks. I suspect Paul Menage would complain
> about that (Paul?), and I do think it's silly as they are security
> questions, not group tracking questions, but if it's what people want
> I can send out a new patch next week.

The way I see this is: cgroups provide a common way to group tasks
and an API for general configuration - that's the controller "face",
and it's up to the controller to decide where he turns his "back",
IOW where the hooks are placed. For the memory controller - they are
injected directly into the mm code. For this controller, I think it
would be OK to use LSM or about-LSM hooks.

>> Since this version can happily work w/o LSM, I like it too :)
>
> In an earlier version I asked whether you had any experience with usual
> # rules per container. Do you have an idea? Right now the whitelist is
> a straight list we search through linearly. If # rules is generally
> tiny then I'm inclined to keep it that way...

The # of rules usually has a linear dependency on the number of containers
(each of then has to have an access to /dev/null,zero,random at least), so
having 100 containers we will have to scan through a 300-entries list. I'd
vote for a hash table or a radix/binary/rb tree for that. Or any other way
for non-linear search you can provide :)