Re: [patch 0/6] Guest page hinting version 6.

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 14:32:26 EST

Zachary Amsden wrote:
On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 18:55 +0000, Hugh Dickins wrote:
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
My other concern is just correctness over time on the Linux side. We already
have enough trouble keeping things like the pte and page structure state in
sync, with resulting rare data-loss bugs. Adding another layer which only
applies in specific environments raises the possibility for new bugs to be
un-noticed for a long time. How can we structure the VM changes to make sure
that its robust in the face of maintenance?
Yes, that's the main concern, as whenever lots of subtlety is added.
I wonder if there's any chance of a CONFIG_DEBUG mode, which could be
run on anybody's x86 machine, without involving any virtualization, but
in which the PAGE_STATEs become essential to the correct working of the mm.

How about a fake hypervisor, which is really just a random page evictor,
following the rules of CMM?

Probably simpler to just have variants of the page_set_* functions which simulate the worst-possible host action immediately (ie, stealing pages, logically swapping them, etc). That wouldn't give you full coverage, but it would go some way. An async variant which schedules a change in a few milliseconds would help too.

I guess that's equivalent to having a special-purpose hypervisor built into the kernel (hm, sounds familiar...).