Re: [patch 0/6] Guest page hinting version 6.

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 17:39:20 EST

Zachary Amsden wrote:
It needn't be that hard on s390, I believe you don't need to worry about
PTEs becoming asynchronous when stealing a page, since if I understand
the hypervisor architecture, there is a per-page mapping level
available, allowing you to generate discard faults on access. It might
be possible to use this mapping layer without implementing a full blown
hypervisor. Martin?

Yes, I don't expect its a problem for s390, but the point is making something workalike enough to make sure there's an evenly distributed number of explosions-in-face when things go wrong.

For x86, at discard time, you would have to manually walk and invalidate
any PTEs potentially mapping the discarded page, but there is already
this great thing called Xen paravirt-ops which actually does that for
completely different reasons (PT page protection).

Not sure I follow. Xen pvops pays attention to whether a particular page is being used as part of a pagetable, and changes its permissions accordingly. But because pagetable pages are strictly kernel-only, we can get away with updating a single kernel-mapping pte which is shared across all processes. In the guest page hinting case, we need to deal with general pages which can be mapped anywhere, so that really does require a full traversal of the pagetables. Presumably rmap would be helpful here.