Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet

From: Daniel Phillips
Date: Sat Mar 15 2008 - 17:26:17 EST

On Saturday 15 March 2008 13:56, Alan Cox wrote:
> > RAID controllers do not have half a terabyte of RAM. Also, you are always
> > invited to choose between speed (write back) and reliability (write through).
>
> The write back ones are also battery backed properly, and will switched
> to write through (flushing out the cache) on the first sniff of a low
> battery signal.

In other words, exactly how ramback works.

> The decent ones (the kind used in serious business) also let you swap the
> battery backed RAM module to another card in the event of a failure of a
> card so you can complete recovery.

Right, just like the Violin 1010, whose PCI-e cable can be hotplugged
into a different server. Or plugged into two servers at the same time,
because each 1010 has two PCI-e interfaces, so this can be done without
manual intervention.

See, we really are talking about the same thing. Except that ramback
does it bigger and faster.

Daniel