Fibre channel network interfaces + Linux SAN

From: Scott Edwards
Date: Mon Mar 17 2008 - 10:19:01 EST

Two things I'm trying to solve with my fc hardware. How do I enable these for IP networking, and how do I offer say lvm logical volumes behind Linux as a SAN? I'd like nodes to be bootable and offer specific volumes as their disks. I'm using 2.6.28

As for networking, I vaguely remember setting up IPv4 on fibre channel some time ago. So far I have two hosts connected to a Compaq Storage Works FC arbitrated loop. Each host has Online for /sys/class/fc_host/hostN/port_state. I can't find the network device in /proc/net/dev or via ifconfig -a.

riddle: 2.6.18-5-xen-vserver-686
00:0a.0 Fibre Channel [0c04]: Emulex Corporation LP8000 Fibre Channel Host Adapter [10df:f800] (rev 02)

armada: 2.6.18-5-vserver-686
01:0b.0 Fibre Channel [0c04]: Emulex Corporation LP8000 Fibre Channel Host Adapter [10df:f800] (rev 02)

Both have lpfc loaded (if you didn't guess that by now). I thought there was a more generic ip<->fc net driver. I did find net/802/fc.c using fc%d as the net device, and lpfc.ko is the only module I've found containing fc%d.

modinfo lpfc seems to apply to the fc layer only. I did find some outdated Emulex documentation about configuring this hardware for a network interface.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Scott
-- Daxal Communications - http://sslrenewal.com/?lkml