Re: SO_REUSEADDR not allowing server and client to use same port

From: Nebojsa Miljanovic
Date: Mon Mar 17 2008 - 14:17:53 EST

OK. I see. So, it would have to be some malicious application running together
with the server (i.e. on the same CPU). I do see now why you said it would be
very very hard to make this happen.

Still, it would be nice to introduce SO_REUSEPORT socket options so secure
servers (who happen to be clients as well) can re-use ports when necessary.

Another option would be to check if port re-use is happening inside same
application and allow it. That may make half of the folks happy, so I am not
sure if I like it as much as I like SO_REUSEPORT option.

Thanks,
Neb