Re: intel-hda sound too quiet in linux-2.6.25-rc6

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 06:42:06 EST

At Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:23:59 -0700,
Adam J. Richter wrote:

> I have a motherboard that uses the AMD am690g chip set,
> which has a sound hardware called "azalia", which apparently is
> controlled by linux/sound/pci/hda/hda_intel.c.
>
> The audio works fine under linux-2.6.24.2. However, in
> linux-2.6.25-rc3 (haven't tried earlier ones) through 2.6.25-rc6
> (released a couple of hours ago), the audio is barely audible unless I
> crank up my speakers to the maximum volume, at which point I can hear
> the music playing relatively quietly. In comparison, if I were to do
> that with 2.6.24.2, it would wake the neighbors. In both cases,
> this is with the volume set in aumix to 100 in both left and right
> (the maximum values).

This is likely a missing volume setting. With the upgrade to 2.6.25,
you may have a different mixer representation and the udev or init
script didn't restore the old mixer setting properly (typicall missing
-F option to alsactl). Also note that aumix doesn't cover all volume
controls since it's an OSS app.

Anyway, there is too little hardware information here. Please show
the output of alsa-info.sh:
http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh

In most cases, running the following commands solves the mixer issue:

% amixer set Master unmute 80%
% amixer set Front unmute 100%
% amixer set Headphone unmute 100%

Takashi