Re: Interactivity degrades with CONFIG_[FAIR]_GROUP_SCHED set in2.6.24 and later

From: Joe Peterson
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 18:08:35 EST

Joe Peterson wrote:
> When going from kernel 2.6.23 to 2.6.24, however, I noticed that
> interactivity (namely the smoothness of mouse motion) was noticeably
> less smooth under load. The most obvious case was while pulling down a
> Subversion repository; the mouse would freeze for quite long periods
> while being moved (i.e. a large fraction of a second), which never
> happens under 2.6.23. I was using ZFS-FUSE on the partition I was
> writing to, and it uses a lot of CPU at times, but 2.6.23 seems to
> handle it better.

I just made a couple of debug output files using the default
CONFIG_GROUP_SCHED setting in 2.6.25-rc5-git (from 3/16):

This one was done during a diff between two kernel source dirs:
http://www.skyrush.com/downloads/linux-cfs-debug/cfs-debug-info-2008.03.18-06.37.44

This one was done during an svn checkout:
http://www.skyrush.com/downloads/linux-cfs-debug/cfs-debug-info-2008.03.18-06.38.23

The latter one was done during a period exhibiting what felt like longer
and more profound pauses in mouse movement, however, the first debug
file shows several se.wait_max > 40. Both cases showed very
choppy/jerky mouse movement with quite obvious freezes when moving the
mouse in circles during the tests.

Here is a snippet of the se.wait_max lines from the first file:

se.wait_max : 0.000000
se.wait_max : 0.000000
se.wait_max : 7.375852
se.wait_max : 4.875690
se.wait_max : 7.211323
se.wait_max : 3.779489
se.wait_max : 2.770382
se.wait_max : 12.959876
se.wait_max : 3.524036
se.wait_max : 16.625484
se.wait_max : 73.991289
se.wait_max : 18.937293
se.wait_max : 6.955806
se.wait_max : 21.919110
se.wait_max : 6.922932
se.wait_max : 10.432544
se.wait_max : 76.222556
se.wait_max : 7.216472
se.wait_max : 90.987582
se.wait_max : 7.071110
se.wait_max : 16.332227
se.wait_max : 2.261235
se.wait_max : 67.892956
se.wait_max : 25.337064
se.wait_max : 44.180597
se.wait_max : 74.290628
se.wait_max : 12.631292
se.wait_max : 1.389533
se.wait_max : 3.653521
se.wait_max : 2.841697
se.wait_max : 16.234723
se.wait_max : 107.011747
se.wait_max : 110.638560
se.wait_max : 9.677538
se.wait_max : 15.852109
se.wait_max : 23.316106
se.wait_max : 18.428330
se.wait_max : 16.674552
se.wait_max : 110.630411
se.wait_max : 47.906824
se.wait_max : 74.191984
se.wait_max : 12.224021
se.wait_max : 2.184557
se.wait_max : 17.799343
se.wait_max : 17.670697
se.wait_max : 0.000000
se.wait_max : 0.000000

I hope these help; please let me know if I can help further or run more
tests.

-Thanks, Joe