Re: iommu: it could use some documentation

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 18:23:00 EST

* Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Fix coding style in pci-dma_64.c and add stubs for documentation. I
> hope someone fills the rest, I understand maybe off and soft...

> + iommu= [x86]
> + off
> + force
> + noforce
> + biomerge
> + panic
> + nopanic
> + merge
> + nomerge
> + forcesac
> + soft

these are mostly quirks to get boards booting - few people use these for
performance tuning. SAC has an address space limit (40 bits) but is
faster, DAC can cover the physical address range but is slower. The
softiotlb we better forget about ;-)

if you are interested in fixing this, the descriptions from
Documentation/x86_64/boot-options.txt should/could be merged into
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt.

Ingo