Re: suspend slow in 2.6.25-rc6 (was Re: Suspend and hibernation patchsetagainst -rc6)

From: Alexey Starikovskiy
Date: Thu Mar 20 2008 - 11:51:18 EST

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Pavel Machek wrote:
Also, for polling mode to work on Acers, we need
to insert a delay.

Can we, in the future, always trigger any such performance damaging "fixups"
based on DMI white/black lists? As a rule?
Poll mode is not supposed to be entered on any non-broken HW.
The fact that it happens now with Thinkpads at suspend is a bug.
EC region should not be accessed with interrupts of GPEs disabled.
This is not the first time I see a vendor push broken crap, and everyone
else who did it right get the shaft, because people don't like to add
quirks to common code. We get performance enhancement features disabled,
mdelays added...

And for the do-as-windows-does crowd, they do it on vendor­issued device
drivers, which obviously don't hork everyone else's devices. Our equivalent
solution is to key things to DMI matches. This is worth keeping in mind,
because the ACPI subsystem seems to be a common target for such bad
behaviour.