Re: [11/14] vcompound: Fallbacks for order 1 stack allocations on IA64 and x86

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 18:31:12 EST

Christoph Lameter <clameter@xxxxxxx> writes:

> This allows fallback for order 1 stack allocations. In the fallback
> scenario the stacks will be virtually mapped.

The traditional reason this was discouraged (people seem to reinvent
variants of this patch all the time) was that there used
to be drivers that did __pa() (or equivalent) on stack addresses
and that doesn't work with vmalloc pages.

I don't know if such drivers still exist, but such a change
is certainly not a no-brainer

-Andi