Re: [patch 07/76] NIU: Bump driver version and release date.

From: David Miller
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 20:13:57 EST

From: "Jesper Juhl" <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 01:10:40 +0100

> As I see it, this patch is quite trivial and does not fix any "real problem".
> How come this is suitable for -stable?
>
> I have no objections to the patch "as such", I just don't think it
> makes sense for -stable.

It makes a difference for driver maintainers when users
report bugs and we ask them for the version printed
by the driver so that we know which fixes have been
applied.

You know, if people are going to be jerky about this,
I'll just include the version bump in the actual bug
fixes which I sometimes do anyways.

Thanks for bringing this up, it's a useful use of
everyone's time :-/