Re: ohci1394 problem (MMIO broken) (was 2.6.25-rc6-git6: Reportedregressions from 2.6.24)

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sat Mar 22 2008 - 18:02:20 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

Ingo/Thomas - should ioremap*() perhaps take "resource_size_t" or a "u64" for the address (and then "__ioremap()" should probably take a PFN, not a physical address, and that one can remain just a "unsigned long"?)

resource_size_t seems to make sense here. In the case when we have 64-bit resources but no PAE support we should error our when the resource is out of range rather than silently fail.

Has anybody ever had a working 64-bit BAR on x86? Ivan? Maybe I'm missing something..

64-bit BAR, certainly. 64-bit BAR with a value beyond 4 GB I would find questionable at best... I suspect the answer is "no".

-hpa