Re: Question about C language.

From: Chris Snook
Date: Sun Mar 23 2008 - 03:32:18 EST

Chris Snook wrote:
Francis Moreau wrote:
Hello,

I know it's a bit out of topic but this is something I need to clarify for
writing a Linux driver... hope you don't mind.

In my driver I have a global variable that controls a loop such as:

int my_condition;

void change_my_condition(int new)
{
my_condition = new;
}

int foo(void)
{
/* irqs are disabled */
my_condition = 1;
do {
local_irq_enable();
cpu_sleep();
local_irq_disable();

} while (my_condition);

}

This variable is modified by an interrupt handler define in another file
by using 'change_my_condition' function.

By reading the ISO C99 specification, I _think_ that I needn't any
kind of barrier
or even use the volatile type qualifier for my_condition variable to make a true
access to 'my_condition' in the controlling expression of the while, but I'm not
sure.

Coud anybody confirm ?

Thanks,

Even volatile may be insufficient with some architecture/compiler combinations. You should use explicit barriers wherever you need them, or Bad Things will happen.

-- Chris

Oops, forgot to mention, you should use atomic_t, to avoid aliasing problems, and ALSO use explicit barriers wherever you need them.

-- Chris