Re: [patch 3/6] vfs: mountinfo stable peer group id

From: Ram Pai
Date: Mon Mar 24 2008 - 04:19:43 EST

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 16:27 +0000, Al Viro wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 07:37:51PM +0100, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> > set_mnt_shared() is called from namespace.c as well, without
> > vfsmount_lock. But agreed, that's not the real issue.
>
> How about the following: let's separate set_mnt_shared() and inventing
> group ids. All we need is this:
> invent_group_ids(mnt) /* call under namespace_sem */
> for all vfsmounts p in subtree rooted at mnt
> if p->mnt_share is non-empty
> continue
> get ID for p
> if allocation fails
> goto cleanup
> return 0
> cleanup:
> for all vfsmounts q in subtree rooted at mnt
> if q == p
> break
> if q->mnt_share is non-empty
> continue
> release ID of q
> return -ENOMEM
>
> Now here's what we do:
> * in do_change_type(), outside of vfsmount_lock, do invent_group_ids()
> If it fails - bugger off, if not - proceed as now.

Has it to be done outside vfsmount_lock? AFAICT, invent_group_ids()
does not sleep, nor does change_mnt_propagation().

> * in attach_recursive_mnt() if IS_MNT_SHARED(dest_mnt) do
> invent_group_ids() on the dest_mnt immediately and if it fails do

I think you meant, invent_group_ids() on the source_mnt. But again
applying invent_group_ids() on the source_mnt has to be done carefully,
because, source_mnt may have been shared to begin with.

right?
RP