Re: your old menuconfig patch series, and select

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Mon Mar 24 2008 - 08:32:30 EST

On Monday 2008-03-24 07:54, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
It "does not work" either if LEDS_CLASS is put outside of the if block
and instead gets a "depends on LEDS_CLASS".

So, select is not walking the dep chain. Bad form, that, but I am sure
it is for a good reason. Well, select NEW_LEDS plus select LED_CLASS it
is, then. I'd have appreciated the Kconfig toolchain warning me of it,
but maybe I just don't know how to ask it to :-)

'select' is doing its jobÂâ it enables LEDS_CLASS. It leaves NEW_LEDS
off though, since LEDS_CLASS "only" has a 'depends' on NEW_LEDS,
and not a 'select'. This is kind of a discrepancy for Kconfig rather
than a bug; it gets two inputs:
- CONFIG_FOO tells me to enable LEDS_CLASS
- LEDS_CLASS tells me to disable LEDS_CLASS because NEW_LEDS is off
In the end, it leaves LEDS_CLASS=m in the .config file and NEW_LEDS=off.