Re: [RFC][-mm] Memory controller add mm->owner

From: Paul Menage
Date: Mon Mar 24 2008 - 12:35:07 EST

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Balbir Singh <balbir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Also, if mm->owner exits but mm is still alive (unlikely, but could
> > happen with weird custom threading libraries?) then we need to
> > reassign mm->owner to one of the other users of the mm (by looking
> > first in the thread group, then among the parents/siblings/children,
> > and then among all processes as a last resort?)
> >

> The comment in __exit_signal states that
>
> "The group leader stays around as a zombie as long
> as there are other threads. When it gets reaped,
> the exit.c code will add its counts into these totals."

Ah, that's useful to know.

> Given that the thread group leader stays around, do we need to reassign
> mm->owner? Do you do anything special in cgroups like cleanup the
> task_struct->css->subsys_state on exit?

OK, so we don't need to handle this for NPTL apps - but for anything
still using LinuxThreads or manually constructed clone() calls that
use CLONE_VM without CLONE_PID, this could still be an issue. (Also I
guess there's the case of someone holding a reference to the mm via a
/proc file?)

> >> - rcu_read_lock();
> >> - mem = rcu_dereference(mm->mem_cgroup);
> >> + mem = mem_cgroup_from_task(mm->owner);
> >
> > I think we still need the rcu_read_lock(), since mm->owner can move
> > cgroups any time.
> >

> OK, so cgroup task movement is protected by RCU, right? I'll check for all
> mm->owner uses.

Yes - cgroup_attach() uses synchronize_rcu() before release the cgroup
mutex. So although you can't guarantee that the cgroup set won't
change if you're just using RCU, you can't guarantee that you're
addressing a still-valid non-destroyed (and of course non-freed)
cgroup set.

Paul