Re: [SCSI] fix media change events for polled devices

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Mar 24 2008 - 23:09:25 EST

James Bottomley wrote:
The current published API is the media_events file. HAL is using that
to indicate support for AN. This is why we can't simply change it to 1
wholesale because we'll confuse HAL (HAL still has to send polling
events if AN isn't supported).

So, the best fix for 2.6.25 at the current -rc6 is to keep the meaning
of the media_change file the same (0 for no AN, 1 for AN) and let HAL
take the polled events via udev, which basically means it's preserving
the behaviour and isn't a regression.

For 2.6.26 we can add a new media_events_polled (or some other name)
file, fix the sysfs ro attribute and make them true writeable filters so
some raving user can turn off polled events if they want and everyone
will be happy.

So version 3 of the interface will be the first stable and usable one... sigh :/

It's just disheartening that the userspace filtering stuff (including interface) was disabled rather than fixed, given that that change came first and arguably the follow-on change (285e9670) was an abuse of the API that was never corrected -- which seems to be tacitly acknowledged since everyone seems to agree more than one flag is needed.

Jeff