Re: [13/14] vcompound: Use vcompound for swap_map

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Tue Mar 25 2008 - 13:52:14 EST

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:45:06AM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:
>
> > I liked your idea of fixing compound pages to not rely on order
> > better. Ok it is likely more work to implement @)
>
> Right. It just requires a page allocator rewrite.

Not when the trick of getting high order, returning left over pages
is used. I meant just updating the GFP_COMPOUND code to always
use number of pages instead of order so that it could deal with a compound
where the excess pages are already returned. That is not actually that
much work (I reimplemented this recently for dma alloc and it's < 20 LOC)

Of course the full rewrite would be also great, agreed :)

-Andi